I have a long-standing love of cornbread – it’s something that goes way back to my childhood. I wanted to bring you a southern-style cornbread, without the Texas-size amount of oil and fat. Believe me, you don't need all of the excess oil to make this cornbread moist and delicious!
Almost Oil-Free Jalapeno Cornbread [Vegan]
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ medium onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup cornmeal
- 2 tbsp sweetener of your choice
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- ¼ cup applesauce
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Warm the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and jalapeno and saute for 5-7 minutes. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the dry ingredients. Add in the wet ingredients and stir well. Fold in the onions and jalapeno, ensuring they are mixed well throughout. Grease a muffin tin or 9x9 pan and pour the batter in. If using a muffin tin, you can fill the cups ¾ of the way full.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the tops begin to turn golden. Let cool briefly, and serve.