These granola bars are a small glimpse into paradise. Young coconut meat, pineapple, pistachios, and orange juice all rolled into oats and shaped into bars. Fruity and delicious!
Nutty Tropical Fruit Granola Bars [Vegan]
- 3 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup puffed brown rice, unsweetened
- 1/3 cup dried coconut shreds, unsweetened
- 2/3 cup dried tropical fruit pieces
- 2/3 cup young dried coconut or more tropical fruit
- Pistachios, roughly chopped
- Cashews, roughly chopped
- 1 medium banana, mashed
- 2 tablespoons freshly-squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup agave nectar, maple syrup, or palm syrup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet vegan dark chocolate
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 325°F and line a rectangular pan with wax paper or greased parchment. Combine all of the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and toss to combine. In a separate medium bowl, stir together the wet ingredients and spices and pour over dry mixture. Mix well until everything is well coated, then use a rubber spatula to scrape the mixture into prepared pan.
- Press the mixture down tightly and evenly using greased palms or a flat object until it's as tight as possible. Place the pan in the oven and bake for 18-22 minutes or until the bars are just starting to brown on the edges. Turn off the oven but leave the pan inside and allow the bars to cool down with the oven for about 1 hour. After they have mostly cooled, remove pan from oven and lift slab out of pan using the paper and allow it to finish cooling completely.
- Once hardened, cut into desired size bars. If using chocolate, melt it in a double boiler or microwave safe bowl with the oil and drizzle over cooled bars. Allow the chocolate to harden before serving.