This simple, raw, and nut-free sesame cheese makes the impossible possible with a blend sesame seeds, nutritional yeast, apple cider vinegar, and agar agar. Un-hulled sesame seeds have a very nutty, almost smoky flavor that makes this cheese unique. If you like sesame seeds then you’ll really like this cheese, and if you can't eat nuts you'll like it even more! This is an absolute must-try on crackers.
Raw Nut-Free Sesame Cheese [Vegan]
- 1 cup water* plus 1 tablespoon agar agar
- 1/2 cup un-hulled* sesame seeds
- 1/8 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- Grind the sesame seeds, nutritional yeast and salt until it forms a flour.
- For a thicker cheese, add 1 tablespoon of oil and keep grinding until it becomes a sesame butter (aka tahini).
- Simmer 1 cup water or non-dairy milk and agar agar flakes for about five minutes. Let cool for another five minutes.
- Blend together the sesame seeds and agar agar mixture.
- Hand mix in your spices and herbs, if using.
- Cover a bowl with plastic wrap and pour in the cheese, cover and refrigerate until firm.
*Water can be replaced with any non-dairy milk or you can reserve 1 tablespoon tahini and mix with water to make your own non-dairy milk. *You can use hulled sesame seeds for a less "smoky" flavor.