This plant based cheddary sauce is perfect for mac and cheese, other pasta dishes, as a dish, or truly whatever you want!
Nut-Free Cheddar Sauce [Vegan]
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/3 cup raw (shelled) sunflower seeds
- 1/3 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon regular paprika (not smoked)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut aminos
To your blender, add the nutritional yeast, sunflower seeds, rolled oats, tapioca starch, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, mustard powder, paprika and turmeric powder. Process until it becomes a fine powder, about 20 seconds.
Add the water, red bell pepper and coconut aminos to the blender and process until smooth. Transfer the mixture to a saucepan and heat over medium-high heat. Cook for 7 - 10 minutes, stirring often. It will slowly become thicker and thicker. As this happens, begin to stir constantly until it's thick and gooey.
Remove from heat, cool to room temperature, then promptly store in your fridge.