Trying to impress your dinner companion, but have very little time on your hands? This is the dish to make! Pistachios, tarragon, and lemon juice, plus a hint of Dijon mustard, turn a simple dinner into something special. Serve with steamed green beans (just call them haricots verts to keep the fancy facade going) and quinoa for a complete Parisian bistro-inspired meal. There’s no need to press the tofu in this recipe; simply pat it dry. Any excess moisture will help the crust adhere to the tofu.
Recipe from The No Meat Athlete Cookbook: Whole Food, Plant-Based Recipes to Fuel Your Workouts and the Rest of Your Life © Matt Frazier and Stepfanie Romine, 2017. Photographs copyright © Ken Carlson, Waterbury Publications Inc. Reprinted by permission of the publisher, The Experiment. Available wherever books are sold. theexperimentpublishing.com
Nut Crusted Tofu [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Nut Crusted Tofu [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup (70 g) roasted, shelled pistachios (see Note)
- 1/4 cup (30 g) whole wheat bread crumbs, or GF if necessary
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- Salt and black pepper
- One 16-ounce (454 g) package sprouted or extra-firm tofu, drained and sliced lengthwise into 8 pieces
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard, GF, if necessary
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
How to Prepare Nut Crusted Tofu [Vegan]
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a food processor (or a knife), chop the pistachios until they are about the size of the bread crumbs. In a pie plate, combine them with the bread crumbs, shallot, garlic, lemon zest, and tarragon. Season with salt and pepper.
- Season the tofu with salt and pepper. In a small bowl, combine the mustard and lemon juice.
- Spread the mustard mixture evenly over the top and sides of the tofu, then press each slice into the bread crumb mixture.
- Place the tofu uncoated side down on the baking sheet. Sprinkle any leftover bread crumb mixture evenly on top of the slices. Bake until the tops are browned, about 20 minutes. Serve.
Note: If you can only find salted pistachios, do not season the bread crumb mixture with salt in step 1.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.