New York is known for their delicious and fluffy bagels. While recreating them is a tall order, these bagels take on the challenge! Top this breakfast classic with your favorite toppings, like cheesy nutritional yeast, chives, poppy seeds, or minced garlic.
New York-Style Bagels [Vegan]
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cups warm water
- 3 1/2 cups bread flour, plus more for kneading
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dehydrated chives
- Nutritional yeast
- Black pepper
- Coarse salt
- Caraway seeds
- Poppy seeds
- Sesame seeds
- Chia seeds
- Minced garlic
- Minced onion
- Pour the sugar and yeast into a 1/2 cup of water, but do not stir. Let it sit for five minutes, then stir until dissolved.
- Mix the flour and salt in a large bowl, then make a well in the middle and add in the yeast and sugar mixture.
- Pour 1/3 cup (90ml) of the remaining warm water into the well. Add in more water as needed, a tablespoon at a time, to form a moist and firm dough.
- Flour a countertop or large board, and knead the dough for 10 minutes until it is smooth and elastic. Work in as much flour as possible to form a firm and stiff dough.
- Wet the inside of a clean large bowl with water, put the dough in, and turn to coat until the outside is moist.
- Cover with a damp dish towel and allow it to rise in a warm place for 1 hour, until doubled in size. Once risen, punch the dough down and set it aside for 10 minutes.
- Roughly divide the dough into 8 pieces, and shape each piece into a round. To do this, take a dough ball, press it gently against the surface you’re using, moving your hand and the ball in a circular motion pulling the dough into itself while reducing the pressure on top of the dough slightly until a perfect dough ball forms. Repeat with all of the dough.
- Coat your finger in flour, then press into the center of ball to form a ring. Stretch the dough balls into a rings about 1/3 the diameter of the bagel, then place on a parchment paper- lined baking sheet, then cover with a damp towel and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 425ºF, line a large baking sheet with a silicon baking mat or parchment paper, and bring a large pot of water to a boil. If you want to top your bagels with anything, you should get these out on the counter now. You can use an almond milk wash for your bagels, but or just use the moist bagels straight from the water.
- Once boiled, reduce the heat to medium, and use a slotted spoon to lower as many bagels that fit comfortably into the water. Once they to float to the top, boil for 2 minutes, flip, then boil for another 2 minutes.
- Once all the bagels have boiled and toppings added, transfer them to your lined baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes.
Store in an air tight container for 4-5 days.