Ever noticed the wonder on people's faces as they hover over a tray of canapés? These stuffed mushrooms will not only be a hit for your guests, but provide your guests with quality food. This dish makes a lovely appetizer or even a side dish!
Mushroom, Zucchini, and Pumpkin Seed Canapés [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Mushroom, Zucchini, and Pumpkin Seed Canapés [Vegan]
- 8 medium cremini mushrooms, brushed clean
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons whole-grain mustard
- Handful of pumpkin seeds, ground
- 2/3 cup dried bread crumbs
- Pinch each of dried thyme and sage
- Pinch of paprika
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil (optional)
- Handful of fresh thyme leaves
- Salt and pepper
How to Prepare Mushroom, Zucchini, and Pumpkin Seed Canapés [Vegan]
- Preheat the oven to 375°F, unless you intend to make these in advance. Remove the mushroom stems, dice, and set aside. Put a pinch of salt and pepper inside the mushroom caps, rub the outside with olive oil, and place, cap side down, on a baking sheet.
- Warm the rest of the oil in a skillet and sauté the onion for 3 minutes before adding the zucchini and mushroom stems. Cook for another 3 minutes, then add the garlic and mustard. Cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and add the pumpkin seeds, bread crumbs, herbs, and paprika. Taste. I often add a teaspoon of coconut oil or olive oil at this stage. If time allows, let the stuffing sit for several hours to enhance the flavor.
- Stuff each mushroom and bake for 15–20 minutes, until the caps brown and soften. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with fresh thyme before serving.
The amount of stuffing here is probably more than you need; any leftovers can be cooked and served separately.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.