This easy Mediterranean flavoured mushroom tomato sauce goes so well with al dente pasta or cooked rice and even serves as a dressing on top of Buddha bowls. Make a bigger batch and you’ll have delicious weekday meals in no time at all! Other awesome qualities of my mushroom tomato sauce include the following: easy to make, common ingredients only, and relatively quick to make!
Mushroom Tomato Sauce for Pasta [Vegan]
- 1 medium leek, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 cup button mushrooms, diced
- 2 cups unsalted tomato puree
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- Himalayan salt (max 1/4+ 1/8 teaspoon for Plantricious version)
- Black pepper to taste
- 5 tablespoons coconut milk
- Start by preparing your veggies – slice mushrooms and chop celery, carrots and leek.
- Next, sauté mushrooms – heat up a few tablespoons of water in a large skillet over medium heat. Once the water starts to sizzle add sliced mushrooms and cover. Sauté them over a medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Then, throw in chopped leek, carrots and celery. Stir, cover and sauté for another 5 minutes until the veggies are soft. Also, add water if necessary.
- Now it’s time to pour in the tomato puree along with ½ cup of water and dried oregano. Stir well, bring to boil and simmer on low heat for 15 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Finally, add crushed garlic and coconut milk and season with salt and pepper.