These Vegan Mushroom Rice Stuffed Peppers make an utterly delicious savoury meal, perfectly suitable for a festive occasion or a simple, satisfying family meal. The additional chilled Tahini-Yogurt sauce and the tomato base are elevating the flavours of this fantastic plant-based dish.
Mushroom Rice Stuffed Peppers with Tahini-Yogurt Sauce [Vegan]
- 24 oz (680 g) – cremini mushrooms
- 6 – multi-coloured organic bell peppers (or preferred)
- 1 1/2 cups (293.95 g) – organic Jasmine rice
- 1 large – organic red onion
- 1 jar (650 ml) – organic tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup (122.5 g) – dairy-free organic yogurt (plain or unsweetened)
- 1/4 cup (59 g) – org veggie stock (or water)
- 6 sprigs – organic fresh thyme (or 1 teaspoon / 0.91 g – dry thyme)
- 1 tablespoon – coconut aminos (or Tamari Sauce)
- 1 tablespoon (15 g) – organic raw tahini paste
- 1 tablespoon (14 g) – avocado oil
- 2 teaspoon (8 g) – Himalayan salt
- 1 teaspoon ( 1.01 g) – dry oregano
- Optional: 1 cup (237 ml) – sweet white wine (vegan)
- Preheat oven at 400° F (200°C)
- In a small bowl, whisk together chilled yogurt and tahini paste. Refrigerate until serving.
- Cut off the top of the peppers (with stem), clean out the seeds and inner membrane – set aside.
- Empty the tomato sauce jar into a small mixing bowl. Add one teaspoon of salt, 1/2 teaspoon dry oregano, half of the fresh thyme leaves (or 1/2 teaspoon dry), and the white wine (optional). Mix to incorporate. Set aside.
- Peel the red onion and clean mushroom tops using a mushroom brush (or a clean w/ dry paper towel). Chop both, and set aside.
- Slightly brush large ceramic rectangular dish (5 L) with avocado oil (or preferred), and arrange clean peppers (keep tops aside). Add to the preheated oven and slightly bake (uncovered) during the mushroom-rice stuffing prep (max 10 min.)
- In a medium-sized bowl, soak the rice in filtered water (max 10 min while cooking stuffing).
- In a large skillet/ pan, heat up the oil on medium-high and saute chopped onions for one minute. Add chopped mushrooms. Stir fry together for another two-three minutes until mushrooms shrink in size. Strain the water of the soaked rice, and add rice to the skillet. Mix in remaining fresh thyme leaves (or ½ tsp dry), dry oregano, one teaspoon of salt, and coconut aminos. Stir lightly to incorporate ingredients, then add the veggie stock (or water). Continue to stir fry the mixture on medium-high, stirring continuously, and until all liquid is fully absorbed and rice is partially cooked (approx. 5 min).
- Pull peppers out of the oven and stuff with the mushroom-rice mixture (fill until the top, making room for all the mix). Place the pepper "lids" on top of each stuffed pepper, pour the tomato sauce mixture into the pan (at the bottom of the stuffed peppers), cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- At minute 45, remove the aluminum foil and broil peppers for five more minutes for a gentle roast.
- Leave peppers to cool down for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Serve as main meal w/ yogurt – tahini sauce, and other sides if desired.