This soup is not only for vegans but for the meat eaters in your life as well. Why meat eaters? Well because this soup is rich with umami, the fifth ‘taste’ that makes foods savory, complex and deeply flavorful.
Curried Mushroom Barley Lentil Soup with Spinach [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon canola oil (or use water to saute)
- 2 onions, chopped
- 8 cloves of garlic, pressed
- 2 cups dried shiitakes, soaked in water for 10 minutes and then drained
- 2 tablespoons ginger, grated
- 2 tablespoons curry paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 8 cups water
- 1 cup dried brown lentils, rinsed and drained
- 2/3 cup pearl barley
- 2 cups chopped spinach
- Pepper to taste
- Green onions to garnish (optional)
- Heat a large soup pot over medium heat and add your oil (or water).
- Add your chopped onions and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add your pressed garlic, ginger, shiitakes, curry paste, and salt and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add your broth, water, lentils and barley and bring it to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer for about an hour until lentils and barley are both tender.
- Add your chopped spinach and allow it to sit for about 5 minutes to wilt.
- Add pepper to taste.
- Garnish with green onions if you'd like!