Empanadas are a universal entree that can carry any filling, even sweet. For savory empanadas you can choose from multiple options, however, this filling of seitan with mushrooms is one of the richest. In addition to the main ingredients we have added other vegetables, such as onion, pepper and eggplant, hummus to add creaminess to the filling and nuts, such as raisins and nuts, to create textures and add a sweet and festive touch to the filling.
Mushroom and Seitan Empanadas [Vegan]
- vegan dumpling wrappers
- 1 cup of seitan
- 2 2/3 cups mushroom oyster
- 1/4 eggplant
- 1/4 red pepper
- 1/2 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons of raisins
- 2 tablespoons of chopped nuts
- 1/2 cup of hummus
- 1/2 teaspoon of rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- a stream of vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons of agave syrup
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of water
- 1 tablespoon of sesame seeds
- Cut the seitan into cubes, chop the onion, the mushrooms, the pepper, the aubergine and the garlic.
- Heat a frying pan with oil and sauté the onion and garlic. Add the aubergine, pepper, mushrooms, raisins, rosemary, cumin, pepper and salt. Prepare a vegetable sauce and when it is ready add the seitan and cook several more minutes.
- We spread the wafers of the empanadas with hummus and place a few tablespoons of filling in the center. We seal the dough of the dumplings.
- Bake the dumplings until they are golden brown at 360ºF or fry them in hot oil.
- In a glass we mixed the agave syrup, the soy sauce and the water. With a kitchen brush we paint the empanadas and sprinkle the sesame seeds on top.