This warming, hearty stew is inspired by the classic boeuf bourguignon. A variety of beets — red, chiogga, and yellow — are simmered with carrots and Jerusalem artichoke. As the root vegetables simmer, onions are fried until tender and then stirred into the broth. This stew pairs perfectly with grains or a big piece of sourdough bread.
Mushroom and Root Vegetable Stew [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Mushroom and Root Vegetable Stew [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Vegetable oil, as needed
- 1 chopped onion
- 4 chiogga beets
- 4 yellow beets
- 4 red beets
- 2 carrots, cut into pieces
- 5 Jerusalem artichokes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup of red wine (vegan)
- 6 cups of vegetable stock
- A pinch of salt
- 15 mushrooms of your choice
- Parsley, for garnish
How to Prepare Mushroom and Root Vegetable Stew [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Start by finely chopping the onion and fry over medium heat in a heavy saucepan.
- Peel and cut the beets, carrot, and artichoke. When the onions are lightly browned add the beets, carrots, and artichoke and fry for a few minutes. Add the tomato purée and stir, then pour over the wine and broth. Let simmer for 40 minutes.
- Wash and cut the mushrooms into fine pieces. Fry in a frying pan, without oil first, and then when the mushroom water cooks out (takes a few minutes), pour in a little vegetable oil and fry so that they get a nice golden color.
- Taste the stew and add salt and pepper, if needed. Garnish with the parsley and the fried mushrooms.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Per Serving: Calories: 328 | Carbs: 66 g | Fat: 1 g | Protein: 11 g | Sodium: 790 mg | Sugar: 40 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.