Savory pies aren't just for fall! This seasonal tart is made from a combination of spelt and polenta and filled with vegan ricotta, sautéed mushrooms, and onions, and a mixture of savory herbs. Paired with a subtly sweet jelly, like rowan, this savory tart is a flavorful experience that's ideal for spring.
Mushroom and Leek Tart [Vegan]
For the Dough:
- 1/2 cup polenta
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 5-6 tablespoons solid coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold water
For the Filling:
- 1.10 pounds of mushrooms
- 1 red onion
- 1 leek
- 7 ounces of vegan ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 4-5 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon of the mixture of herbs such as thyme, coriander, parsley, oregano, and basil
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground juniper
- A pinch of salt
- Green onion
- Rowan jelly or other jelly
To Make the Dough:
- Mix the flours, oil, salt, and water, and knead until a smooth dough forms. Wrap in cling film and put it aside. If you make the dough much earlier than filling, you can stock it in the refrigerator. However, you must remember to remove it at least 1 hour before baking the tart.
To Make the Filling:
- Chop the onion into small cubes and cut the white part of the leek into small pieces.
- Peel and mince the garlic
- Wash mushrooms. Chop half of the mushrooms into quarters and cut the other half into slices.
- Heat oil in a saucepan and add onion and garlic.
- When the onion is transparent, add leeks, herbs, and pepper.
- Add the mushrooms and fry until the liquids evaporate.
- Add the vegan ricotta and, stirring constantly, cook until the cheese evenly covers the rest of the filling.
- Warm up the oil in a frying pan.
- Add the mushrooms sliced into quarters. Season with a pinch of salt, juniper, and pepper.
- Fry for the evaporation of liquids and add the balsamic vinegar.
- When the mushrooms begin to brown, remove the pan from the heat.
To Make the Tart:
- Transfer the dough into a tart pan.
- Pour filling and on top with the fried mushrooms.
- Bake tart for approx. 30-35 minutes in a preheated oven at 355°F.
- Serve hot, sprinkled with green onion, and serve with rowan jelly.