A good quiche is hard to find – especially if you don't eat eggs. However, this vegan quiche recipe will take care of your quiche craving. It has crispy quinoa and almond meal crust with a creamy mushroom and tofu filling. It takes a little bit of time, but it is so worth it. This vegan quiche recipe is perfect to keep on hand for breakfast or to make for brunch! When you bring out this classic mushroom and kale quiche, it will impress vegans and non-vegans alike!
Mushroom and Kale Quiche [Vegan, Gluten-free]
Ingredients You Need for Mushroom and Kale Quiche [Vegan, Gluten-free]
For the Crust
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup quinoa or 1 cup pre-cooked quinoa
- Pinch of salt
For the Filling
- 1 12-ounce block of firm tofu
- Olive oil, for frying
- 1 small brown onion
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 6 White Button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil, roughly chopped
- 1 cup curly kale, stem removed and chopped into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Pea sprouts and snow pea tendrils
How to Prepare Mushroom and Kale Quiche [Vegan, Gluten-free]
To Make the Crust
- Rinse your quinoa and add to the stove with 1 cup of water.
- Bring the water to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until all the water is absorbed. Fluff the quinoa with a fork. You can also use 1 cup of pre-cooked quinoa if you have any on hand.
- Combine the quinoa with almond meal, add salt, and mix well. It should stick together when you press it between your fingers.
- Lightly grease your quiche/tart tins with a little bit of olive oil and press the mixture into evenly onto the base and sides of your tin. Set aside.
To Make the Filling
- Break your tofu into large chunks and place in a food processor. Process until smooth and creamy. This will take a few minutes. You may need to scrub down the sides as you go and add a little bit of soy milk to help it come together. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, fry the onions in olive oil until they are soft and translucent.
- Add your garlic and simmer the dish until fragrant.
- Add your sliced mushrooms, season them with a good amount of salt and pepper, and cook for a few minutes until all the water has evaporated.
- Throw in the kale and sun dried tomatoes and let everything cook for a few more minutes or until the kale has softened.
- Add nutritional yeast, dried basil, oregano and chili flakes. Mix the pan's contents well.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- When your veggies are cooked, add in your tofu mixture and mix well to combine. It should be a very dense and heavy mixture.
- Spoon tofu mixture into your quiche bases and flatten it out until even.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 355°F.
- Serve with pea sprouts and snow pea tendrils as a garnish.
You can use 4-inch tart tins or one large or standard tart tin and make one large quiche. The recipe for the tofu filling was adapted by the sun-dried tomato, spinach and mushroom tofu quiche from “Oh She Glows”.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.