These baked beans are a wonderful side to almost any meal. The tender red and green bell peppers are lightly fried with a bit of onion and garlic and then simmers with Cannellini beans and a smoky bouquet of spices. This dish works as a side at lunch or dinner but can double as a hearty toast topping for breakfast.
Mushroom and Bell Pepper Baked Beans [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 diced onion
- 1/4 red pepper
- 1/4 green pepper
- 5 diced mushrooms
- 1 diced tomato
- 2 finely diced garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons vegetable stock powder
- 1/2-1 teaspoon each of coriander, basil, and rosemary
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/2-1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 can cannellini beans, partially rinsed drained
- Cayenne, to taste
- Add oil to a pot on medium heat then add the diced onion, bell peppers, and mushroom and fry everything until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the tomato and garlic and cook the mixture for about 1 minute making sure not to burn anything.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, stir them through, turn your stove to low, and simmer the beans for another 15-20 minutes or until the liquid has reduced and you are ready to serve them.
These beans store well in a sealed container in the fridge for about a 5-7 days.