If you’re laying off dairy but can’t imagine game day without a bowl of queso, this is the recipe for you! Cashew cream is lightened up with pureed cauliflower and a small amount of carrot for extra veggie-based creaminess and color. The result, while certainly distinguishable from the real thing, is perfectly satisfying. As an added bonus, it’s accidentally gluten-free and intentionally low fat!
Queso Dip [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 3/4 cup cauliflower
- 1 ounce carrot
- 1 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1-2 chipotle peppers, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 clove garlic
- 6 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Olive oil spray
- 1/4 cup onions
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- Ground chipotle pepper, to taste
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes with green chiles, well drained
- Pour boiling water over the cashews and let sit at least 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place cauliflower and carrot in a large bowl, add 1/4 cup water, and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Microwave for 10 minutes. (Alternatively, if you don't have a microwave, you can boil the vegetables until tender.)
- Drain cashews. Add soaked cashews, cauliflower, carrot, almond milk, vegetable broth, chipotle peppers, mustard, vinegar, garlic, and nutritional yeast to a blender. Puree until smooth.
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat and spray with olive oil. Add onions and saute, stirring, until softened and translucent, about 3-5 minutes. Pour almond milk mixture into the saucepan and bring to a simmer. Add salt, cumin and black pepper and simmer until thickened, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in diced tomatoes and adjust seasoning to taste.
- Serve with tortilla chips and enjoy.