This Moussaka makes a wonderful filling dinner!
Ingredients You Need for Moussaka [Vegan]
For the Base:
- 3 large eggplants
- 1000 g (35.3 oz) potatoes, peeled
- Olive oil, to brush
- Salt and pepper, to sprinkle
For the Lentil Mixture:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups (450 g/15.9 oz) passata (tomato purée)
- 1 cup (150 g/5.3 oz) chopped tomatoes (canned)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1–2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar or sweetener of choice
- 1 pinch of cinnamon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups (600 g/21.2 oz) cooked lentils (canned, or cooked from 1 1/2 cups dried lentils)
For the Bechamel Sauce:
- 2 cups (480 ml/16.9 oz) plant-based milk
- 3 1/2 tablespoons (28 g/1 oz) cornstarch or arrowroot flour
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pinch of nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons (28 g/1 oz) vegan butter Vegan cheese to taste (optional)
How to Prepare Moussaka [Vegan]
- Preheat the oven to 390°F (200°C) and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Slice each eggplant lengthwise into 4 pieces, and cut the potatoes into 1⁄2-inch (1 cm) thick slices. Arrange the slices in a single layer on the baking sheets, brush lightly with some olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes, or until lightly brown.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté́ for 4–5 minutes. Then, add the tomato purée, chopped tomatoes, all spices, salt, and pepper to taste. Finally, add the cooked lentils and let it simmer over low heat for about 5 minutes.
- For the béchamel sauce, add the plant-based milk to a pan/skillet. Mix in the cornstarch, nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper, and whisk well. Then, add the vegan butter and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer over low heat for a few minutes until it thickens, whisking continuously. Remove from the heat.
- Grease a 13x9-inch (33x23 cm) or larger baking dish and arrange half the potato and eggplant slices on the bottom of the baking dish.
- Top with the lentil mixture, followed by the remaining potato/eggplant slices. Pour the béchamel sauce over the top and spread it evenly. Add vegan cheese to taste (optional).
- Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes or until the top is bubbling and golden brown. Garnish with fresh herbs. Enjoy! Store leftovers covered in the fridge for 3–4 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.