Looking for a new way to enjoy your favorite comfort foods? In this recipe, North African spices give a unique twist to chili. Sweet potato and chickpeas are the perfect ingredients for absorbing the fragrant spices and juices from stewed tomatoes.
Moroccan Chili [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Moroccan Chili [Vegan]
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons ras el-hanout
- 1 tablespoon harissa
- 1 large sweet potato
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 15-ounce cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped Ras El-Hanout Spice Blend:
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- 2 teaspoons cardamom
- 2 teaspoons mace
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
How to Prepare Moroccan Chili [Vegan]
- Heat oil in a heavy pot over medium heat. Add onion and sliced garlic cloves and saute until softened, about 5 minutes. Add ras el-hanout and harissa; simmer another minute, until fragrant.
- Stir in the tomatoes with juice, sweet potato, and tomato paste. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally until the sweet potato is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in the drained chickpeas and raisins. Simmer an additional 5 minutes until warmed through. Season to taste, adding more harissa for more heat.
- Top with cilantro and vegan feta, if desired. Serve hot.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.