These bars aren’t just great; they are epic. And like all good stories, you don’t want them to end.
Moon Bars [Vegan]
For the Bottom Layer:
- 1/2 cup (55 g) almonds
- 1/2 cup (55 g) pecan halves
- 2 pitted dates
For the Middle Layers:
- 1 cup (250 g) melted coconut butter
- 1 1/4 cups (220 g) pitted dates
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) hot water
For the Top Layer:
- 1/2 cup (85 g) dark chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) coconut oil
- Coarse sea salt
- To the bowl of a food processor, add the almonds, pecans, and dates. Cover and process until a thick dough forms. Firmly press the crust into a lined 9 x 9-inch (23 cm x 23 cm) baking dish.
- Melt the coconut butter and pour over the crust. Freeze for 1 hour or until firm.
- Add the dates and hot water to the food processor and process until a thick paste forms. Spread date mixture over the frozen bars and set aside in the freezer.
- In a microwave-safe dish, combine the chocolate and coconut oil. Microwave in 30-second increments until melted, stirring with a fork until smooth.
- Pour the chocolate over the bars and spread in an even layer. Sprinkle coarse sea salt over the top. Freeze until set, about 2 hours.
- To serve, remove from freezer and allow to thaw for 10 minutes before slicing into 12 bars.
Kitchen Note Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week or freeze for up to a month.