The shortbread crust is perfectly sweet and oh so buttery without the actual butter. The crust is filled with a slightly tangy but sweet mixed berry compote and topped with a crunchy, caramely oat crumble. Ya drooling yet? With a buttery and soft crust, perfectly sweet mixed berry compote, and crunchy oat crumble these mixed berry crumble tarts are the ultimate spring/summer dessert. They are also both gluten-free and vegan. Top these bad boys with some vegan vanilla ice cream or coconut whipped cream. They would also be good with frozen blueberries, raspberries, rhubarb, or other fruits instead of mixed berries.
Mixed Berry Crumble Tarts [Vegan]
For the Shortbread Crust:
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup soft coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
For the Berry Filling:
- 1 1/2 cups frozen mixed berries
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
For the Oat Crumble:
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the Crust:
- To a large bowl, combine almond and coconut flour. Cut the coconut oil into the flour until the mixture resembles wet, coarse sand.
- Add maple syrup and lemon zest. Combine with your hands until a soft dough forms.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate while preparing the rest.
For the Filling:
- To a small saucepan, add frozen mixed berries, maple syrup, lemon juice, and corn starch. Stir to combine.
- Bring mixture to a low simmer and cook for 5-6 minutes until thickened and jam-like. Remove from heat and let cool for 15 minutes.
For the Crumble:
- To a large mixing bowl combine oats, melted coconut oil, maple syrup, coconut sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon. Stir to combine.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease five molds in a muffin tin.
- Divide dough into 5 equal portions. Roll into a ball and flatten into a small disc. Place disc on the bottom of the muffin tin mold. Use your fingers to mold the dough into a crust shape. Do this by pressing down and up the sides to form a pocket for the filling.
- Spoon 1 heaping tablespoon of mixed berry compote into the center.
- Top with a tablespoon of oat crumble.
- Bake for 12 minutes until crust is golden brown.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before slipping out of the muffin tin and transferring to a wire cooling rack.