Say goodbye to your local Asian take out food and head to this recipe instead! It's perfect for when you are seeking healthy comfort food.
Miso Sesame Eggplant With Coconut Millet [Vegan]
- 5-6 small long skinny eggplants sliced finely (if you can only find the round plump ones they will work too – just cut them into cubes around 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch)
- 1 teaspoon of sesame oil
- 1 heaped tablespoon of miso paste
- 1-2 teaspoons of tamari
- 2 teaspoons of lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons of freshly chopped parsley
- 1 cup of millet
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of sesame seeds to garnish
- To cook the millet, rinse it well and then place it in a saucepan with water so it is fully covered by about 1/2 inch. Bring to a boil and then reduce to simmer until all the water absorbs and the millet is cooked – it should be soft but hold its form – around 15 minutes!
- While the millet cooks heat the sesame oil in a saucepan. Add the eggplant and allow to cook until the eggplant begins to soften. I usually add a teaspoon or two of boiling water to help it cook and soften quickly!
- When the eggplant is soft and cooked through, add the tamari and lemon juice and cook just long enough for the liquid to absorb a little.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir through the miso paste and parsley. Make sure everything is well combined.
- With the millet, stir through the coconut oil and salt just before you are ready to serve. Place the millet evenly on two plates and then top with the eggplant mixture. Scatter with a little extra parsley and the sesame seeds to garnish.