A Japanese-Mediterranean fusion marked by vibrant colors — who knew miso and beetroot would come together to make the perfect hummus? It’s so addictively rich and umami! Miso is honestly the ultimate magic ingredient. Its paste-like consistency not only helps bind everything together, but has a salty, umami flavor that will add depth and meatiness to pretty much anything. If you haven’t been adding miso to your vegan dishes, you are seriously missing out!
Miso Beetroot Hummus [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Miso Beetroot Hummus [Vegan]
- 1 (16 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium-sized beet
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 2 tablespoons miso
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch white pepper
- lime zest, for topping
- lemon zest, for topping
- flakey kosher salt, for topping
- 2 tablespoons black tahini, for topping
- extra olive oil, for topping
How to Prepare Miso Beetroot Hummus [Vegan]
- To roast the beetroot, pre-heat the oven to 400°F. Wash the beetroot and without peeling, rub it with a little bit of olive oil. Wrap the beetroot completely with aluminum foil and roast in the oven for 1 hour, or until the beetroot is tender to a paring knife. Place the whole beetroot (still wrapped in the foil) into a bowl, and let it cool completely inside the refrigerator. You could roast the beets ahead of time and reserve for later.
- To prepare the hummus, first, peel your roasted beetroot (the skins should come off very easily) and cut it into chunks. In a food processor, blend together the chickpeas, beetroot chunks, olive oil, lime juice, miso, salt, and white pepper. Blend until smooth.
- To finish the hummus, add any additional toppings as you would like — Feel free to top with finely chopped (or grated) lime zest and lemon zest, flakey sea salt, and some dollops of black tahini. Enjoy by spreading on naan or using it as a dip for the naan.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.