Misir wot (Ethiopian lentil stew) transforms red lentils into an unbelievably fragrant and flavorful plant-based eating experience.
Misir Wot (Ethiopian lentil stew) [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Misir Wot (Ethiopian lentil stew) [Vegan]
- 1 large or 2 medium onions diced (about 2 cups)
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon. turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/3 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced (about 2 cups)
- 2 -3 tablespoon Berbere spice blend
- 2 cups red lentils, rinsed and sorted (I prefer split lentils, but you can use whole)
- 4 cups water
How to Prepare Misir Wot (Ethiopian lentil stew) [Vegan]
- Preheat a pot to medium, then add the onions. Cook the onions until they start to become translucent and brown. If the onions begin to stick, add water a tablespoon at a time.
- Add the garlic, ginger, turmeric, cardamom, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir to coat everything in the spices for about 30 seconds to a minute.
- Immediately, add 1/2 cup of water to deglaze the pan.
- Add the tomatoes and allow them to cook and break down for another 10 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of lentils, 4 cups of water, and 2-3 tablespoons of the Berbere spice blend. Mix everything, cover the pot, and allow the lentils to simmer until they are tender (15-20 minutes). Add more water 1/2 cup at-a-time if the lentils are not tender after the liquid is absorbed.
- Season with salt and pepper if desired.
- Once the lentils are tender, remove them from the heat and serve in bowls. Serve the lentils with rice if you prefer.
- Garnish with lemon slices.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.