Misir wot (Ethiopian lentil stew) transforms red lentils into an unbelievably fragrant and flavorful plant-based eating experience.
Misir Wot (Ethiopian lentil stew) [Vegan]
What Ingredients Do You Need To Make Misir Wot (Ethiopian lentil stew) [Vegan]
- 1 large or 2 medium onions diced (about 2 cups)
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon. turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/3 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced (about 2 cups)
- 2 -3 tablespoon Berbere spice blend
- 2 cups red lentils, rinsed and sorted (I prefer split lentils, but you can use whole)
- 4 cups water
How To Make Misir Wot (Ethiopian lentil stew) [Vegan]
- Preheat a pot to medium, then add the onions. Cook the onions until they start to become translucent and brown. If the onions begin to stick, add water a tablespoon at a time.
- Add the garlic, ginger, turmeric, cardamom, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir to coat everything in the spices for about 30 seconds to a minute.
- Immediately, add 1/2 cup of water to deglaze the pan.
- Add the tomatoes and allow them to cook and break down for another 10 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of lentils, 4 cups of water, and 2-3 tablespoons of the Berbere spice blend. Mix everything, cover the pot, and allow the lentils to simmer until they are tender (15-20 minutes). Add more water 1/2 cup at-a-time if the lentils are not tender after the liquid is absorbed.
- Season with salt and pepper if desired.
- Once the lentils are tender, remove them from the heat and serve in bowls. Serve the lentils with rice if you prefer.
- Garnish with lemon slices.
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile