A decadent mint cream flecked with bits of chocolate throughout. Plus more chocolate on top (because, yum!) and of course, coconut whipped cream! Almonds, dates, and cacao make the chewy chocolate no-bake crust. In fact, the entire recipe is no-bake and raw vegan, so you don't have to worry about setting or sinking, cooling or cracking, and all that goes into baking traditional cheesecakes. This is one rich dessert, so slice it small! ...Or don't.
Mint Chip Cheesecake [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Crust:
- 1 1/4 cups almonds
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- A pinch of pink salt
- A splash of water, to help blend
For the Filling:
- 2 1/2 cups raw cashews, soaked overnight
- 1/4 cup solid cream from canned coconut milk, refrigerated overnight
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 2/3 cup coconut oil, melted and warm
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2-3/4 teaspoon mint extract, to taste (not peppermint)
- A dash of pink salt
- 1/2 bar vegan mint chocolate, or vegan dark chocolate (about 1/3 cup shaved/finely chopped)
For the Garnish:
- Coconut whipped cream
- Melted chocolate or chocolate shavings
To Make the Crust:
- Pulse all ingredients together in a food processor. Add a splash of water if it's too dry.
- Press into a parchment-lined 7-inch springform pan.
To Make the Filling:
- Drain and rinse cashews. Blend cashews in a food processor or blender until finely ground.
- Add in remaining ingredients except chocolate. Blend smooth, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Gently pulse or stir in the chocolate shavings.
- Pour over crust and freeze until solid (at least 3 hours).
- Remove from springform and transfer to refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Garnish with melted chocolate and whipped cream.
- To make the chocolate drizzle, place chopped chocolate in a double boiler. (I use a glass bowl on top of a saucepan of boiling water). Stir frequently until melted. Pour on cake. Easy peasy. I like to chill the cheesecake afterward so the chocolate has a delicate crunch. It makes a very nice texture combo with the cream.
To Make the Garnish:
- To make coconut whipped cream, use the leftover cream from the can of full-fat coconut milk from this recipe. Scoop out only the solid white cream. (Save the leftover coconut water for a smoothie!) Beat the solid cream, 1-2 tablespoons maple syrup and 2 teaspoons vanilla with a mixer until whipped and fluffy. You can put it in a gallon-size bag and snip off the corner to pipe it on.
- Keep refrigerated. Should last about a week in the refrigerator.