Vegan Sunday dinner: my new tempeh meatless meatloaf. It might just be the best thing I have ever made. Each loaf serves two people. I store the extra in the refrigerator and we end up with meatloaf sandwiches for a few days.
Mini Tempeh Meatloaves [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Mini Tempeh Meatloaves [Vegan]
- 1 lb. soy tempeh
- 1 cup of water
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 small onion
- 1 big clove of garlic
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons stoneground mustard
- 2 tablespoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons chickpea or sweet white miso Sauce for the Top:
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons really good balsamic vinegar
How to Prepare Mini Tempeh Meatloaves [Vegan]
- Break up the tempeh in crumbles. They don’t have to be too fine, just so that the block is broken up. Add to a pot along with the water and tamari. Mix it all together to try to coat the tempeh with the tamari. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer and cook until the water is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Every few minutes go in with a wooden spoon and break the tempeh up even more.
- Let the tempeh sit and cool. In the meantime, dice an onion into a small dice and mince the garlic. Place in a pan and water or oil sauté until soft.
- In a small bowl, mix together the ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and miso. Add the tempeh, onions and garlic, and breadcrumbs, Mix well.
- Separate the mixture into four equal amounts. Press each portion together very well and then, one by one, press them into each mini loaf cavity. Press the mixture down to make it compact and to reach the edges of the cavity, about 3/4 of the way up to the top.
- Make the sauce for the top by whisking together the ingredients. Spoon it over the top and spread it out evenly.
- Bake in a 350 oven for 45 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes before attempting to take the loaves out.
- Use two spatulas to carefully remove the loaves. Slice, serve and enjoy!
Commercial tempeh comes in 8oz packages so you would have to use 2 packages for this recipe.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.