This cake tastes a little like cornbread, but with a smoother texture. The sweetness comes from added sugar, of course, but also from corn milk, with is quite honeyed on its own. There are only two added tablespoons of oil, but if you want to make the cake a bit more decadent, you can soak the layers in full-fat coconut milk. Then it becomes almost like a tres leches cake, which, incidentally, I hated growing up, but obviously like now. The soaking is purely optional, as the cake is delicious either way.
Mini Sweet Corn and Strawberry Cake [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
one 6-inch cake
- 3/4 cup of cornflour or very fine cornmeal
- 3/4 cup white rice flour
- 3/4 cup corn milk (see notes)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 tablespoon flax meal
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup strawberry jam of choice
- Strawberries, for garnish
- Full-fat coconut milk, sweetened to taste (optional)
- Grease a 6 inch cake pan with coconut oil and set aside.
- Whisk together the cornflour and the white rice flour. Add the cinnamon, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Combine the corn milk with the white sugar, coconut oil, and flax meal.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ones.
- Pour into cake pan and bake for 28-32 minutes, until springy. This cake gets dry easily, do not overbake
- Once cake is cool, carefully slice in half crosswise.
- If using, pour half the the sweetened coconut milk over one half. Add 3/4 of the strawberry jam over this.
- Top with the second half of the cake, pour the rest of the coconut milk, if using, over top.
- Add the rest of the jam and spread to create a design you like, design will not cover all of cake.
- Top with sliced strawberries and serve.
To make corn milk, strip 6-7 ears of corn. Process the kernels in a blender. Place the blended kernels in a cloth set over a large bowl, gather ends of cloth, and squeeze out the milk. Discard solids.