Looking for something to make for your next big occasion? These layer cakes are perfect. They're made from delicate vanilla sponge cake sweetened with notes of pear and covered in a rich cream cheese frosting. These delicate cakes are perfect for weddings, anniversaries, or any special occasion — especially when you dress them up with flowers!
Mini Pear Vanilla Layer Cake [Vegan]
2 mini cakes
For the Sponge Cake:
- 3 tablespoons ground flax seeds, plus 9 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup soft brown sugar
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla powder
- 1 cup plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup, plus 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil, plus extra for greasing the ramekins
- 2-3 tablespoons almond milk or any other non-dairy milk
- 1 small ripe pear, washed, cored, peeled and chopped into small chunks
For the Frosting:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. With coconut oil grease and with grease-proof paper line four 3 1/2-inch ramekins.
- Place the ground flax seeds and water in a little bowl, stir and set aside for 5-10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients for the sponge cake: the two sugars, the vanilla powder, flour, baking powder, and cinnamon.
- Briefly stir until combined, making sure there are no sugar or flour lumps.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the wet ingredients: the melted coconut oil, the almond milk, and chopped up pear. When ready, add the ground flax seed/water mixture and briefly combine.
- Next, pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon until nicely combined. If the mixture looks very dry, feel free to add a tiny bit more almond milk.
- Then, evenly distribute the sponge batter into the four prepared ramekins and bake for 40 minutes. To test, insert a skewer into the center; if it comes out clean, the cake is ready.
- Whilst the sponge cake is baking, prepare the frosting by mixing together the ingredients for the frosting; you can do this by hand or use an electric whisk if you prefer. Once done, keep the frosting in the refrigerator until the sponge is ready.
- When the sponge cake layers are done remove them from the oven, leave to cool for 10-20 minutes. Then, place the sponge layers in the freezer for about 15 minutes or so. This will make cutting them in half so much easier.
- When the sponge layers are ready (they should be hard, but not solid so that you can still easily cut through them), remove them from the freezer and carefully cut them in half. Frost each layer until you have two to four layer mini cakes. Decorate with flowers and serve.
The mini cakes will keep for up to three days in the refrigerator.