Make tiny, adorable DIY pop-tarts with only a handful of ingredients! The pastry layers of these poptarts are made with oats and peanut butter and are each filled with a delicious, no-mess jelly filling made from frozen blueberries and dates. If you are feeling extra DIY-happy, break out some cookie cutters and make adorable animal-shaped toppings.
Mini Peanut Butter and Jelly Pop Tarts [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Crust:
- 1 cup of rolled oats, ground to flour (gluten-free if necessary)
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 8 pitted dates, softened in hot water
- Pinch of salt
For the Jelly:
- 2 cups frozen Maine blueberries
- 5 pitted dates
For the Sprinkles:
- Coarse flake sea salt
- Zest from one lemon
- Set the blueberries out to defrost for about 1/2 hour.
- To make the pastry crust, blend together the dates, peanut butter, and the oat flour. It should ball up in your blender or food processor.
- Roll the crust out to 1/8-inch thick, then cut rectangles that are 1 1/2-inch by 2 1/2-inches. should end up with 22-24 rectangles. If they get hard or crusty to roll at the end of the batch, roll the dough in your hands for a bit to warm up the peanut butter oils.
- To make the jelly, place the defrosted blueberries and the five dates in a small saucepan over medium high heat. Cook, covered for 6 minutes and uncovered for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Blend the blueberries to an even consistency.
- Place 1/2 to 3/4 of a teaspoon of jelly on a crust rectangle and cover gingerly with another rectangle. Don't pinch the ends together with a fork- just press together gently with your fingers.
- Sprinkle lemon zest and a little bit of salt over top. If you want, use little cookie cutters to make the top more festive.