Creamy cheesecake delight in flakey phyllo dough cups — yum! These mini cups are filled with an easy vegan cream cheese-based cheesecake filling and topped with homemade maraschino cherries. Once you try them, you'll never want to go back to the stuff that comes from a jar. These make great party desserts, or desserts for yourself, if you like to grab a bite of something sweet daily.
Mini Cherry Cheesecake Cups [Vegan]
For the Maraschino Cherries:
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup pomegranate-cranberry juice
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- Juice from 3 lemons
- Peel from 1 medium-large orange
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 3 cups cherries, pitted
For the Cheesecakes:
- 8 sheets phyllo dough
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 8 ounces vegan cream cheese
- Olive, vegetable, or coconut oil spray
To Make the Maraschino Cherries:
- The cherries must be made 2-3 days before you make the cheesecake cups.
- Stir all of the ingredients for the maraschino cherries, except the cherries, in a medium-sized pot. Allow the pot to reach a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring the liquid until the sugar has dissolved. Once the liquid has begun to simmer, add in the cherries and allow the liquid to continue simmering for an additional 8 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the stove and allow it to cool to room temperature before placing the cherries in a jar. Pour enough liquid into the jar to fill it up, then refrigerate it for 2-3 days.
To Make the Cherry Cheesecake Cups:
- Allow your phyllo dough to thaw according to package instructions, then carefully lay out one sheet of dough and lightly spray it with oil. Carefully place a second sheet on top and continue layering sheets and oil until you have a stack of 8 sheets layered. Cut the sheet into 12 equal-sized squares.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line the cups of a muffin pan with your dough squares. The tips of the squares should stick above the rim of the pan. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove and set aside to cool.
- While the cups are baking cream your cream cheese and sugar together. Once your cups have reached room temperature scoop your cream cheese into each cup and top it off with as many maraschino cherries as you'd like.
Maraschino Cherry Method Adapted from Cup Cake Project.