It's actually logical that Italian lasagna and Mexican chlli sin carne would go together! Both use tomato sauce and either white sauce or sour cream, so why not combine the two? Chili sin carne is super delicious, nutritious and very easy to make. Combine it with some white sauce made from cashew nuts and layer like you would with a normal lasagna for the tastiest fusion meal.
Mexican Lasagna With Chili Sin Carne [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Chili Sin Carne:
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 chopped red Hungarian pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 cups and 1 teaspoon tomato purée
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 teaspoon paprika powder
- 1 teaspoon BBQ seasoning
- Salt and chili powder, to taste
- 1 cup and 3 tablespoons cooked kidney beans, drained
- 7/8 cup sweet corn
For the Cashew White Sauce:
- 7/8 cup cashew nuts
- Scant 3/4 cup and 2 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- A dash of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 lasagna sheets (gluten-free if necessary)
- 1 large or 2 small mixed peppers
- 1 avocado
- Parsley, to garnish
- Preheat your oven to 360°F.
- Finely chop 1 onion and 1 red pepper. Sauté in a bit of oil. Then add all other chili sin carne ingredients. Cook on high to medium heat for 20 minutes. Add a bit of water if necessary. Stir occasionally to make sure it doesn't burn.
- Make the white sauce by adding all ingredients to a blender and blending until you get a smooth texture. If you have an average smoothie blender, there is no need to soak cashews first.
- Then get an oven-proof glass dish and spoon in a layer of chili sin carne. On top of that add a layer of lasagna sheets. Then pour over the white sauce. Layer with thinly sliced peppers, then pour some more white sauce on top to cover them completely. Add another layer of lasagna sheets and then pour over more of the chili sin carne to cover the sheets completely. Repeat the last step one more time.
- Put in the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Take out and serve with avocado slices on top and garnish with parsley.