These aquafaba meringue mushrooms are crispy, sweet, and irresistible! Store them in an airtight container until you're ready to unleash meringue mushroom awesomeness at your next party.
Meringue Mushrooms [Vegan]
- 1 cup aquafaba (liquid from a can of chickpeas), divided
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar, divided
- 1/2 cup, plus 1 tablespoon organic cane sugar, divided
- About 1 tablespoon cocoa powder, divided
- About 1 cup vegan chocolate chips, divided
- Place two racks in the mid-to-top area of your oven.
- Heat the oven to 200°F.
- Line two cookie sheets with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Pour the aquafaba through a strainer to remove impurities.
- Combine half the aquafaba, vanilla, and cream of tartar in a large metal mixing bowl or in the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat with an electric mixer on medium-high power, or use the stand mixer to whip to a froth. Add about one tablespoon of sugar and keep beating. Keep beating and adding sugar a little at a time until all the sugar is added.
- Beat until the meringue holds stiff peaks. This can take 5-10 minutes, occasionally more. When in doubt, keep beating. You can't overbeat aquafaba.
- Pipe the meringue onto the baking sheets.
- Dust with cocoa.
- Bake for about 2 hours. About halfway through, switch the cookie sheet positions in the oven to ensure even baking. The meringues will feel dry and fairly firm to the touch when they're done.
- Let the meringues cool completely before moving to a plate.
- Repeat with the remaining half of the ingredients. While this batch bakes, melt the chocolate and assemble the first batch into mushrooms.
You can get 1 cup of aquafaba from a 15-ounce can of no-salt-added chickpeas, or 2 cups from cooking 1 pound of dried chickpeas from scratch. When the mushrooms are assembled and the chocolate is completely cooled, store at room temperature in an airtight container. They'll keep for a week.