Make a large batch of this indulgent mac and cheese and enjoy it all week long! Along with the creamy shells and cheddar cheese sauce, the dish has savory seitan for some added protein and broccoli to ensure you get your greens. Not only is this recipe quick and easy, but cheap too! Each serving costs just $2.25 to make.
Meal Prep Smoky Mac and Cheese [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Meal Prep Smoky Mac and Cheese [Vegan]
- 1 pound of pasta shells of choice
- BBQ Sauce or other sauce to dress seitan
- 7 bags of frozen veggies, or as desired
For the Seitan:
- 2 1/2 cups of vital wheat gluten
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- Spices of choice
- Water or broth
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Couple tablespoons of oil, optional
For the Smoky 'Cheddar Cheese' Sauce:
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 5 ounces baby carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoons garlic powder
- Juice from 1 lemon or lime
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 small can of chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
How to Prepare Meal Prep Smoky Mac and Cheese [Vegan]
To Make the Seitan:
- Mix vital wheat gluten flour with chickpea flour. Chickpea flour is optional; it’s to cut down on chewiness. Add salt and mix.
- Mix in 2 cups of water or broth. You’ll likely need additional liquid. Add just enough to make a solid dough, no dry flour. If your dough is too wet sprinkle with more gluten flour.
- Roll loaf in cheese cloth or nut milk bag. Simmer in a large pot of water for an hour.
- Once done cooking let it cool so that you can handle it. Cut it into cubes.
To Make the Smoky Cheddar Cheese Sauce:
- Boil potatoes and carrots until soft (about 25 minutes). Let cool for a few minutes then add to the blender.
- Add everything else to the blender. Use the least amount of water because you’ll want this on the thicker side. Add small amounts of chipotle pepper at a time. Blend and taste to see if it’s spicy or salty enough.
- Once sauce is ready pour over pasta and mix with the pasta.
- Cook the pasta according to instructions.
- Steam the bags of vegetables or prepare as desired.
- Drain the pasta and stir in the cheese sauce.
- Put servings of seitan, pasta, and vegetables into containers and keep in the refrigerator until use.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.