Farro is an ancient grain from the Mediterranean region that has a pleasantly chewy texture. It especially stands out in this stir fry, flavored with a fragrant homemade masala spice blend. Baby spinach melts into the farro, making the dish super creamy and adding a boost of healthful greens.
Masala Spinach Farro [Vegan]
- 1/2 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried fenugreek leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- Pinch of cardamom powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried garlic
- 2 cups baby spinach, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups farro, cooked
- Heat a nonstick pan (no oil) and add coriander seeds, cumin seeds and fenugreek leaves.
- Keep stirring and turn off the heat the moment the spices become fragrant. (Color may turn to light brown but make sure not to overcook or else it will burn).
- Now grind the sautéed spices in a spice grinder as finely as possible.
- Add the ground spices to a container and mix with a spoon.
- Heat a skillet or nonstick pan and add oil to it.
- Add garlic and the prepared masala powder.
- Mix well so that masala is well coated with oil.
- Now add spinach and salt so that spinach is well coated with masala.
- Lastly, add farro and mix well. Cook covered for a couple of minutes and turn off the flame.
- Serve immediately with plain vegan yogurt or top it with lemon juice.
If the masala is too spicy for you feel free to add half of masala mentioned and store the remaining in an airtight glass container for future use. Make sure to use baby spinach for a smoother taste.