This spin on a grilled cheese is a great way to use winter vegetables like squash. Roasted with a maple-mustard glaze to give it a savory-sweet flavor, these sandwiches are great on their own, or paired with soup and salad.
Maple-Mustard Squash Grilled Cheese [Vegan]
For the Sandwich:
- 6 cups packed baby spinach
- 8 slices of bread
- 1/2 batch Maple-Mustard Sauce (see below)
- 1/2 batch Maple-Mustard Squash (see below)
- 1 small red onion, sliced
For the Maple-Mustard Squash:
- 1 medium kabocha squash, peeled if desired
- 1 batch Maple-Mustard Sauce
For the Maple-Mustard Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons tamari
- 4 slices vegan cheddar cheese
To Assemble The Sandwich:
- Wilt the spinach by placing it in a pan with a splash of water over medium heat. Stir until wilted, about 2 minutes, and remove from the heat.
- Spread 4 slices of the bread with the Maple-Mustard Sauce.
- To assemble the sandwiches, layer the wilted spinach, Maple-Mustard Squash, onion, and cheese on 4 of the slices of bread. Top with the other 4 bread slices. Grill the sandwiches in a panini press until the cheese melts and enjoy warm.
To Make the Maple-Mustard:
- Whisk all the ingredients together in a small bowl until smooth. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
To Make the Maple-Mustard Squash:
- To prepare the roasted squash, preheat the oven to 400°F. Slice the squash in half, scoop out the seeds, and cut it into slices ½ to ¾ inch thick. Place the slices in a large bowl.
- Toss the squash with half of the Maple-Mustard Sauce. Spread the squash out on a baking sheet. Bake for 45 minutes, flipping halfway.