There are all kinds of goodness in these burgers — sweet potatoes, mushrooms, and millet are the base. Dates and maple syrup add a hint of sweetness, which is a nice contrast to the smoky chipotle. Lime, cilantro, and cumin add another layer of flavor, bringing these burgers to whole new level. Not only are they delicious, they're also freezable, so you can make a big batch ahead of time! These burgers freeze well and reheat beautifully.
Maple Chipotle Sweet Potato Burgers [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Burgers:
- 1/4 cup dry millet, plus 3/4 cup water
- 1 large or 2 small sweet potatoes, peeled, cubed and steamed (about 2 cups worth)
- 1 cup of Baby Bella mushrooms, quartered
- 2 dates, pitted
- 1 chipotle pepper
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro or 2 teaspoons if using fresh
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup1/4 cup wheat germ or gluten-free oats
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds
- Canola oil
- 4 hamburger buns
- Peel, cube, and steam the sweet potatoes.In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil, add millet, cover, and cook for 15 minutes until water is absorbed and millet is cooked through. Remove from heat and cool.
- In a food processor fitted with an "S"-blade, process sweet potato, mushrooms, dates, and chipotle pepper until mushrooms are finely diced.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, add sweet potato mix, cooked millet, and remaining ingredients up to pumpkin seeds, then mix well. divide the mixture into 4 even mounds. form each mound into a patty and place on a baking sheet.
- In a medium frying pan, heat a teaspoon of canola oil over medium heat. One at a time, fry each patty in oil until each side is golden brown. Transfer back to the baking sheet and continue until each burger has been cooked.
- Bake pan-seared burgers in the oven for 10 minutes. This step ensures the burgers set.
- Remove from oven and serve on a bun with mashed avocado, arugula, and slice tomato.
- To freeze for later, layer burgers between wax or parchment paper and seal in a plastic bag. Reheat on the grill, stove top or toaster oven until warmed through.