These macaroon cookies are simple and the perfect tea accompaniment. They're not insanely sweet, which is a nice change from the usual macaroon flavor profile. Vanilla extract, hazelnut, and maple syrup give these treats a subtle sweetness while chia seeds keep them intact.
Maple Cardamom Vanilla Hazelnut Macaroons [Vegan]
- 2 cups blanched hazelnuts
- 3/4 shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon flaky sea salt
- 2 tablespoons ground chia seeds
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon natural vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon warm water
- Place hazelnuts and coconut in a food processor and blend until finely ground and uniform.
- Add cardamom, baking powder, sea salt, and ground chia seeds and pulse until combined. Add melted coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla, and water and mix until the dough comes together. Tip mixture into a bowl and let chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using an ice cream scoop or spoon, scoop out portions of the dough and place on the baking sheet. Keep the scoop clean so the dough doesn’t stick.
- Bake cookies in the oven until golden brown and firm, 15–20 minutes. Let cool before serving.