So here's the deal, we add maple, we add grainy mustard, we add seasonings, we let all that caramelize with some finely minced garlic and shallots, we top with pistachios and crunchy scallions, and everything becomes this delicious medley of tangy, sweet, crunchy and caramelized goodness. You can serve it over mashed potatoes, roasted potatoes, and it's amazing over green beans with some sweet potato wedges or fries like in this recipe. Now without further ado, let's make a tempeh recipe that will knock your socks off!
Maple and Mustard Glazed Tempeh With Crunchy Pistachios and Scallions [Vegan]
- 1 package of tempeh (approx. 9-ounces)
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 6 tablespoons grainy mustard
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1 shallot, finely minced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- Some shelled pistachios for topping
- Some chopped scallions for topping
- A drizzle of oil for the pan
- Cut the tempeh into triangles (or any shape you might like, this is just for presentation), and place it in a steamer basket over a pot with boiling water, and cover it with a lid. Let the tempeh steam for 12 minutes.
- Remove the tempeh and pat it dry with a paper towel if needed. Place it in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the maple syrup, grainy mustard, balsamic vinegar, water, minced shallots and garlic and whisk until combined. Set it aside.
- Heat a non-stick pan on medium-high heat and add a drizzle of oil to the pan. Place your tempeh pieces in the pan and let them get golden brown on both sides.
- Once the tempeh is golden, pour the sauce on top and let it reduce slightly.
- Serve your tempeh topped with some of the pan sauce that remains, the chopped pistachios and scallions, your favorite sides and enjoy!