Your tastebuds are about take a vacation to the tropics with these refreshing mango macarons. Aquafaba is the base for the crispy almond-mango shells, and they are filled with a luscious raw cashew-mango buttercream that can be whipped up in seconds!
Mango Macarons [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Liquid from 1 can of chickpeas (aquafaba)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup ground almonds
- Chopped mango
- 1/2 cup ground cashews
- 1 cup soaked cashews
- 1 ripe mango
- Whisk the chickpea brine, cream of tartar, icing sugar and vanilla on high speed for 10-15 minutes until solid peaks form.
- Add the ground almonds and beat the mixture with a spoon until well combined. Don't worry too much about losing air bubbles. You want a glossy, smooth batter.
- Transfer the mixture into a piping bag and pipe flat rounds that are roughly the same size onto a tray lined with baking paper.
- Top half the macaron rounds with a little chopped mango and extra chopped almonds.
- Leave the macarons in a warm place and allow them to dry out slightly for 3-4 hours (or overnight if possible).
- Bake in the oven at 212°F for 20-25 minutes. Leave them to cool completely before peeling them off the baking paper.
- Blend the ground cashews, soaked cashews and ripe mango until you have a thick, creamy consistency. Place in the freezer for about one hour to allow it to thicken some more.
- Sandwich the macaron shells together with generous amounts of the mango cashew filling. Done!
*Note: Best to consume on the same day as the macarons soak up the moisture from the mango-cashew cream overnight!