Once you’ve made your first Naan trust me, you’ll never buy shop bought again! If you’re terrified of the bread/yeast world like I used to be, there’s no need to be with this recipe. These naans puff up beautifully once cooked. This is a mama thoroughly tried-and-tested passed on treat.
Mango, Coconut and Sultana Naans [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Mango, Coconut and Sultana Naans [Vegan]
- 9 ounces strong white bread flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried yeast
- 3 ounces coconut milk
- 3 ounces tepid water
- 1 tablespoon mango chutney
- 1/4 cup sultanas
- Olive oil (for frying)
How to Prepare Mango, Coconut and Sultana Naans [Vegan]
- Put the flour into a large bowl and add the salt to one side. Add the yeast to the other side so they do not touch.
- In a jug, mix the water and coconut milk together. Pour about 2/3 cups of the mixture into the flour bowl and combine with hands. Add the remaining 1 to 2 tbsps if you feel the mixture is too dry!
- On a lightly oiled surface pour out the dough and knead for ten minutes until smooth and glossy. Shape into a smooth ball and transfer back into the bowl and cover with a tea towel, leave to prove for an hour in a warm place.
- When your hour is up, tip the dough out onto your oiled surface and knock out the air in the dough. Flatten slightly and add the sultanas and mango chutney like pizza toppings!
- Knead the fillings into the dough – fold the dough over the ingredients pressing firmly as you go. Don’t over knead, you’ll want marbling mango!
- Cut the dough into 4 and shape piece into a ball shape. Flatten each round with you fingertips and roll with a rolling pin further until they are about 1/4 inch thick.
- Leave to prove again for half an hour under a dry tea towel.
- Fry! Add a teaspoon of olive oil to a hot pan and place the naans in one at a time. Fry for 2 minutes each side until they are patched with brown.
- Place onto kitchen paper to absorb the excess oil. Enjoy!
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.