A fragrant cake with fruity tropical flavors! This is a slightly dense cake, a simple snack cake, if you will. It’s moist, rich textured, and luscious. Sweet and spicy cardamom adds a complex layer to the mango, heightening the flavor of the cake. It has a lovely floral aroma and smells heavenly when baking.
Mango Cardamom Cake [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon ground flax, plus 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup or 4 ounces vegan butter, softened
- 3/4 cup turbinado or regular sugar
- 1/2 cup mango purée (1 ripe medium-sized mango)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar, plus almond milk to fill up to 3/4 of a cup, left to sit for about 3 minutes
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour (regular whole-wheat or all-purpose flour works too)
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Zest of 1/2 a lemon
- 1 cup chopped mango pieces (1 ripe medium-sized mango)
- Preheat oven to 350°F, and butter a square cake pan or your preferred baking pan.
- Mix ground flax seed and water in a small cup or bowl, set aside and let mixture thicken for at least 5 minutes.
- Cream butter in a mixing bowl until pale, add sugar, and cream again until mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add flax mixture and mango puree, beat to combine then mix in almond milk mixture, lemon juice, and vanilla extract.
- In another bowl, combine flour, cardamom, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Combine the wet ingredients (mango and almond milk mixture) with the flour mixture, and mix to combine (do not overmix!)
- Add lemon zest and gently fold mango pieces into the batter.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan, and bake until top is brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 45-50 minutes.
- Cool cake in pan on a wire rack for 5-10 minutes, remove from pan and allow cake to cool completely before serving.