These sushi rolls are gorgeous, colorful, and full of health benefits! Beets are an extremely heart healthy food. Why not wrap this root veggie into a foodie favorite – sushi! Sweet mango, juicy cucumber, and creamy avocado are paired with beet to create a beautiful sweet, crunchy, and savory bite of sushi.
Mango Beet Sushi [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup rice, regular or sushi
- 2 cups water
- 1 large mango, sliced
- 1 large English cucumber, sliced
- 8 ounces beets, peeled, roasted and sliced
- Avocado, sliced
- 4-5 slices of nori
- Sesame seeds
- For best results, rinse rice until water runs clear. Then transfer for a pot with water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for roughly 15-20 minutes or until all water is absorbed. Allow to cool. For traditional sushi rice, stir in a mixture of 3 tablespoons rice vinegar and 2 tablespoons dissolved sugar to the cooked rice.
- While rice is cooking/cooling prepare your veggies and set up your sushi station. I like to put all my veggies into separate bowls and have a small bowl of water to wet fingers, as the rice gets sticky.
- To assemble the sushi, lay a piece of nori out on a bamboo mat. Wet your fingers and spread rice onto nori. Next, layer your veggies near the middle of the rice. Now, lift the bottom of the bamboo mat and roll the nori sheet and rice around the filling. Hold the filling the middle in order to keep it in place. Use the bamboo roll to shape your sushi.
- Cut and serve with wasabi, pickled ginger, and soy sauce or aminos. Serve.