This recipe for black bean balls calls for a mixture of lightly seasoned black beans, carrot, and crunchy cabbage. They're served in a savory sauce that's made by sautéing a mixture of fresh and flavor vegetables with ginger, garlic, and freshly ground black pepper to uplift the flavor. This simple dish is perfect for families, where it's sure to be a hit with everyone, especially when served with a side of fresh brown rice.
Manchurian Black Bean Balls in a Savory Gravy Sauce [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Manchurian Black Bean Balls:
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup shredded cabbage, squeezed to remove excess moisture
- 1/4 cup grated carrots
- 1 tablespoon green chili sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1/4 cup chickpea flour
For the Gravy:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions, only the white part
- 1/2 cups celery, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon chopped ginger/powder
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
To Make the Manchurian Black Bean Balls:
- Preheat oven to 400°F and prepare a cookie sheet with a greased liner.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients mentioned for the Manchurian balls. Mash them with your hands as much as possible and divide the dough into 8 equal parts.
- Form a firm ball shape between your palms and place them on the prepared cookie sheet with proper spacing.
- Put the sheet in the middle rack of the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Turn off the oven and let it stand inside for a couple of more minutes.
To Make the Gravy:
- Heat oil in a wok and add green onions, celery, garlic, and ginger and sauté at medium–high heat for couple of minutes. They do not need to brown.
- Add red bell pepper and sauté for a minute.
- Add the vegetable broth and soy sauce and let it cook for 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Now add rest of the ingredients and cook again for 2-3 minutes.
- Just before serving, add the Manchurian balls to the sauce and serve warm with brown rice.