This hearty stew blends tastes, flavors, and textures in delicious, uplifting harmony. Tempeh, carrots, burdock, and lotus root are combined with a sweet, tangy sauce that pairs perfectly with brown rice.
Macrobiotic Sweet and Sour Tempeh [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Macrobiotic Sweet and Sour Tempeh [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 8 ounces tempeh, cut into bite-size triangles or squares
- Safflower oil, for deep-frying
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 cup sliced onion (1/4-inch quarter-moons)
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt, divided, plus more to taste
- 1 cup roll-cut burdock
- 1/2 cup sliced lotus roots (1/4-inch half-moons)
- 1/2 cup roll-cut carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped cauliflower (bite-size florets)
- 2-inch square piece kombu
- 1 cup Shiitake broth or water
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 2 tablespoons brown rice syrup
- 2 tablespoons brown rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons shoyu
- 2 tablespoons kuzu, dissolved in 3 tablespoons cold water
- Parsley or scallions, for garnish
How to Prepare Macrobiotic Sweet and Sour Tempeh [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Deep-fry tempeh pieces in heated safflower oil until golden. Set aside to cool.
- In a skillet, heat sesame oil and saute onion for a few minutes with 1/8 teaspoon of the sea salt until onion turns translucent.
- Add burdock and 1/8 teaspoon of sea salt. Keep sautéing until burdock aroma turns from woody to sweet. Add lotus root, carrots, cauliflower, kombu, Shiitake broth or water, apple juice, and 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce flame to low, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add rice syrup, rice vinegar, shoyu, remaining 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt, and fried tempeh.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Taste broth and adjust flavor if necessary. Add dissolved kuzu while mixing gently until the broth thickens.
- Simmer for another 5 minutes. Serve with garnish.
From The One Peaceful World Cookbook by Alex Jack and Sachi Kato (BenBella Books, 2017).
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Per Serving: Calories: 183 | Carbs: 21 g | Fat: 8 g | Protein: 10 g | Sodium: 482 mg | Sugar: 6 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.