Macadamia nuts make a great vegan cheese-they are creamy, white, and not gritty when puréed. Try this quick “goat cheese” with toasted baguette, sliced celery, carrot and cucumber, or your favorite cracker. Garnish your cheese board with olives, pickles and fresh fruit like tangerines, apples and grapes
Macadamia ‘Goat’ Cheese [Vegan, Grain-Free]
- 1 cup macadamia nuts, soaked overnight and rinsed before processing
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- Water, as needed (1-2 tablespoons maximum)
- 1-2 tablespoons edible flowers (optional)
- Soak the macadamias overnight. Drain and rinse with fresh water. Discard the soaking water.
- Add the nuts to a food processor along with the lemon zest, juice, salt, black pepper, and nutritional yeast. Process until smooth, adding water little by little as needed. Go slowly with the water, because the cheese will be too runny if you add too much.
- After the cheese is smooth as possible, refrigerate for 1 hour to overnight. Before serving, remove from the refrigerator and form into balls or into a cylinder. Decorate with flower petals if desired.