This luscious, fudgy brownie, is so decadent- especially with a scoop of coconut vanilla nice cream. And no matter how many pieces you eat, you’ll still swear there’s no way this is vegan!
Luscious Fudgy Brownie [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Luscious Fudgy Brownie [Vegan]
- 1 cup and 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 ounces non-dairy dark chocolate, chopped fine or grated
- 1/3 cup Dutch Processed cocoa powder*
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder*
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 1/4 cup coconut sugar or organic cane sugar
- 1/4 cup neutral-tasting oil*
- 1/2 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup non-dairy dark chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- *See notes below instructions
How to Prepare Luscious Fudgy Brownie [Vegan]
- Place the oven rack in the middle position, and preheat to 350 degrees. Line a 8" x 8" baking pan with parchment paper. (You'll lift the brownies out of the pan by the parchment overhangs.)
- Stir up the flour and scoop it out with a spoon into your measuring cup; level off with a flat knife. Place into a small bowl with the baking powder, and salt. Whisk until combined; set aside.
- Measure the cocoa powder the same way you did for the flour, and pour into a medium bowl along with the chocolate, cocoa, and espresso powder. Whisk in the water until well combined and the chocolate is melted. Whisk in sugar, oil, and vanilla until mixed.
- With a rubber spatula, stir in the flour mixture until combined; fold in chocolate chips and walnuts, if using.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake 35-40 minutes, or when a toothpick inserted halfway between the edge and center comes out with few moist crumbs attached (Crumbs, not wet batter. The crumbs should be clumpy and moist.) Check on it at 30 minutes to make sure it's not already done, and keep a close eye on it after that. The brownies can go from perfect to overbaked pretty fast.
- Remove pan to a wire rack and allow the brownies to cool for 30 minutes in the pan. Using the parchment overhang, lift brownies from pan.
- Return brownies to wire rack and let cool completely before cutting.
- The brownies will continue to set as they cool down, and also develop more flavor. They can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days.
- *Note: If you like extremely fudgy brownies, then omit the 3 tablespoons of flour or cut it back to 1 or 2 tablespoons.
- Start with 1/2 teaspoon of espresso, taste the batter, and add more (1/4 teaspoon at a time) until it reaches the strength you like.
- If you don't have Dutch Processed Cocoa, then change the amount of baking powder to 1/8 teaspoon and add 1/8 teaspoon of baking soda too.
- For the dark chocolate, you can mix it up and use a chocolate peppermint bar or even an orange chocolate bar.
- You can also use half oil and half melted non-dairy butter. I wouldn't increase the butter beyond half though, because the brownies will start drying out.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.