These sausages are going to become a Sunday breakfast must-have! Made from mushrooms and tofu, they are just as meaty as the traditional breakfast link. Serve with savory tofu scramble for a delicious breakfast.
Longganisa: Filipino Breakfast Sausages [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Longganisa: Filipino Breakfast Sausages [Vegan]
- 1 ounce dried Shiitake mushrooms, soaked in warm water for at least 20 minutes, minced
- 5-8 pieces dried Porcini mushrooms, soaked in warm water for at least 20 minutes, minced (optional)
- 1/2 of 1 12-ounce block firm tofu, crumbled
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon coconut vinegar
- 1-2 tablespoons chili oil or sesame oil for non-spicy version
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts, crushed (optional)
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- A drizzle of maple syrup
- A pinch of black pepper
- A pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup of breadcrumbs plus more if needed
- 3 tablespoons refined coconut oil
How to Prepare Longganisa: Filipino Breakfast Sausages [Vegan]
- Using a bowl, mix all of the ingredients except for the last two ingredients. Mix thoroughly.
- Add breadcrumbs. Thoroughly combine everything using your hands so the breadcrumbs can soak up the moisture from the mixture.
- Set aside and let it marinate for at least 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Taste mixture and adjust seasoning to taste.
- Still using your hands, form mixture into sausage links. Add more breadcrumbs if needed to firm up.
- Heat a medium pan over medium heat.
- Once hot enough, pour refined coconut oil and let it heat for a minute or two.
- Fry the vegan sausages until all sides have nicely browned. Serve hot.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Per Serving: Calories: 241 | Carbs: 26 g | Fat: 12 g | Protein: 7 g | Sodium: 460 mg | Sugar: 9 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.