These sausages are going to become a Sunday breakfast must-have! Made from mushrooms and tofu, they are just as meaty as the traditional breakfast link. Serve with savory tofu scramble for a delicious breakfast.
Longganisa: Filipino Breakfast Sausages [Vegan]
- 1 ounce dried Shiitake mushrooms, soaked in warm water for at least 20 minutes, minced
- 5-8 pieces dried Porcini mushrooms, soaked in warm water for at least 20 minutes, minced (optional)
- 1/2 of 1 12-ounce block firm tofu, crumbled
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon coconut vinegar
- 1-2 tablespoons chili oil or sesame oil for non-spicy version
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts, crushed (optional)
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- A drizzle of maple syrup
- A pinch of black pepper
- A pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup of breadcrumbs plus more if needed
- 3 tablespoons refined coconut oil
- Using a bowl, mix all of the ingredients except for the last two ingredients. Mix thoroughly.
- Add breadcrumbs. Thoroughly combine everything using your hands so the breadcrumbs can soak up the moisture from the mixture.
- Set aside and let it marinate for at least 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Taste mixture and adjust seasoning to taste.
- Still using your hands, form mixture into sausage links. Add more breadcrumbs if needed to firm up.
- Heat a medium pan over medium heat.
- Once hot enough, pour refined coconut oil and let it heat for a minute or two.
- Fry the vegan sausages until all sides have nicely browned. Serve hot.