Here's a snack that's going to disappear in an instant. This awesome plate is made from layers of tortilla chips, topped with BBQ jackfruit, black beans, chopped tomatoes, sliced green onions, and pickled jalapeños. Then, it's drizzled with creamy cashew nacho cheese sauce and the whole process is repeated again. The nachos are then baked in the oven to warm them and topped wth ripe avocado, tomatoes, and fresh herbs.
Loaded BBQ Pulled Jackfruit Nachos [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Nachos:
- About 6 ounces tortilla chips
- 1 recipe BBQ pulled jackfruit (recipe below)
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained
- 2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup pickled sliced jalapeños
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 recipe cashew nacho cheese sauce (recipe below)
- 1 small avocado, chopped
- Fresh cilantro leaves, to garnish
For the Nacho Cheese Sauce:
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 2 cups boiling water
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
For the BBQ Jackfruit:
- 1 20-ounce can jack fruit in brine
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2/3 cup vegan barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
To Make the Nacho Cheese Sauce:
- Put the raw cashews in a bowl and pour the two cups of boiling water over them. Set them aside to soak for at least 15 minutes.
- Drain the cashews and put them into a blender with the rest of the ingredients and blend on high for about 5 minutes, scraping down the sides as needed, until the sauce is very smooth and creamy. Transfer whatever sauce you don’t use on the nachos to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to one week.
To Make the BBQ Jackfruit:
- Rinse the jackfruit in a colander then drain. Break the jackfruit pieces up into smaller pieces.
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Once the oil is shimmering, add the jack fruit, barbecue sauce, water, and liquid smoke, then stir everything together to combine and to make sure the jackfruit is coated in the sauce.
- Cover the saucepan and let the jackfruit cook for 20-25 minutes, until it is tender and can be shredded. Check on the jackfruit several times during the cooking process to make sure the sauce isn’t cooking down too quickly. If it is, turn the heat down slightly. You can also add a couple tablespoons of warm water to the pan, if it seems the sauce has cooked down too much.
To Make the Nachos:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Spread half of the tortilla chips in the bottom of a 9-inch pie plate. Spread half of the jackfruit over the chips, followed by half of the black beans, jalapenos, tomatoes and green onions. Drizzle some of the cashew nacho cheese sauce over the top. Add a second layer of tortilla chips, then top the chips with more jackfruit, black beans, jalapeños, tomatoes, and green onions. Drizzle more cheese sauce over the top.
- Bake the nachos in the preheated oven for 5 minutes, then remove them from the oven and sprinkle with the chopped avocado and cilantro. Serve immediately.
- BBQ Sauce
- Beans - Black
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile