Golden brown potato patties, when bitten into, reveal a delicious and textural mix of mushroom and lentils, and they are as pleasing to the eye as they are to the taste buds. With a good amount of wholesome carbs, and the protein duo of potatoes and lentils, these are ready to fuel you for any meal of the day, and as on-the-go bites. This recipe is reprinted with permission from Power Vegan Meals by Maya Sozer, Page Street Publishing Co. 2017.
Lentil-Stuffed Potato Cakes [Vegan, Gluten-Free, Soy-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Lentil-Stuffed Potato Cakes [Vegan, Gluten-Free, Soy-Free]
For the Cakes:
- 10 medium gold potatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup potato starch, plus more for dusting
For the Stuffing:
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4-ounces shiitake mushrooms
- 3/4 cup dried green lentils (preferably French lentils), cooked
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Coconut oil for panfrying
How to Prepare Lentil-Stuffed Potato Cakes [Vegan, Gluten-Free, Soy-Free]
- In a large pot, combine the potatoes, the bay leaf, some salt, and 7 cups of water and boil until the potatoes are tender. Check them with a fork to make sure they are soft inside. When done, rinse the potatoes under cold water; the skins should peel off easily. Mash the potatoes until smooth, add the potato starch, and stir to form a dough. If the dough feels too sticky to shape, add more potato starch.
- To prepare the stuffing, heat the olive oil in a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, stir and cook for 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes. Finally, add the lentils, and salt, and pepper to taste and cook for 2 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- To form the cakes, take about 3 tablespoons of the dough in your hand and press it into your palm. Place a spoonful of stuffing over the dough, close it by folding it over, and shape it into a round disk.
- Heat a thin layer of coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat and cook the potato cakes on both sides until they develop a golden-brown crust, about 4 minutes per side.
This recipe is reprinted with permission from Power Vegan Meals by Maya Sozer, Page Street Publishing Co. 2017. Photos by Maya Sozer.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.