Golden brown potato patties, when bitten into, reveal a delicious and textural mix of mushroom and lentils, and they are as pleasing to the eye as they are to the taste buds. With a good amount of wholesome carbs, and the protein duo of potatoes and lentils, these are ready to fuel you for any meal of the day, and as on-the-go bites. This recipe is reprinted with permission from Power Vegan Meals by Maya Sozer, Page Street Publishing Co. 2017.
Lentil-Stuffed Potato Cakes [Vegan, Gluten-Free, Soy-Free]
For the Cakes:
- 10 medium gold potatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup potato starch, plus more for dusting
For the Stuffing:
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4-ounces shiitake mushrooms
- 3⁄4 cup dried green lentils (preferably French lentils), cooked
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Coconut oil for panfrying
- In a large pot, combine the potatoes, the bay leaf, some salt and 7 cups of water and boil until the potatoes are tender. Check them with a fork to make sure they are soft inside. When done, rinse the potatoes under cold water; the skins should peel off easily. Mash the potatoes until smooth, add the potato starch and stir to form a dough. If the dough feels too sticky to shape, add more potato starch.
- To prepare the stuffing, heat the olive oil in a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, stir and cook for 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes. Finally, add the lentils, and salt and pepper to taste and cook for 2 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- To form the cakes, take about 3 tablespoons of the dough in your hand and press it into your palm. Place a spoonful of stuffing over the dough, close it by folding it over and shape into a round disk. Heat a thin layer of coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat and cook the potato cakes on both sides until they develop a golden brown crust, about 4 minutes per side.
- This recipe is reprinted with permission from Power Vegan Meals by Maya Sozer, Page Street Publishing Co. 2017. Photos by Maya Sozer.