Made with brown lentils, brown basmati rice, carrots, celery and bok choy, this one-pot soup is a complete healthy meal in a bowl. One serving will give you all the plant protein and phytonutrients that you need.
Lentil, Rice and Bok Choy Soup [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Lentil, Rice and Bok Choy Soup [Vegan]
- 3 tablespoons (tbsp) olive oil
- 1 cooking onion, chopped
- 1 small jalapeño pepper (red or green) , seeds removed and diced small
- 2-3 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 1/2 cups celery, diced small
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, peeled and diced small
- 1 rosemary sprig or 1 teaspoon (tsp) dry
- Mineral salt, a few pinches or to taste
- 1 cup dry brown lentils
- 1/3 cup rice (I use brown basmati)
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered cumin
- 1 teaspoon mild or sweet powdered paprika
- 6-7 cups vegetable stock, ( I use homemade, but a good quality store-bought kind is also good)
- 2-4 cups of water (can add more later)
- 2 tablespoons soya sauce
- Add last: Fresh bok choy, rinsed, sliced in two parts or chopped (as desired)
- Cracked pepper, to taste
How to Prepare Lentil, Rice and Bok Choy Soup [Vegan]
- Prepare, measure and dice all ingredients, having them ready to go.
- Rinse brown lentils and rice together in a fine-meshed sieve and set aside.
- In a large soup pot, heat up the olive oil over medium-high heat. Lower heat, add the onion, jalapeño and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes until soft.
- Add the carrots, celery and rosemary. Add salt. Cook stirring often for 6-7 minutes until soft and fragrant. Add a bit of water if it sticks.
- Add the lentils and rice together and toss with wooden spoon to blend the ingredients.
- Add the cumin, paprika and toss gently. Cook for 2-3 minutes, tossing regularly so that ingredients and flavours merge.
- Add the veggie stock and mix. Add some water (start with 2 cups, can add more later). Add the soya sauce. Raise the heat and bring to the boil, then reduce heat immediately. Allow to simmer with lid half on for 30-40 minutes, or until the rice and lentils are soft and cooked. Stir the soup from time to time. Add more water if you prefer a more fluid soup (it does get thicker).
- Add the amount of bok choy that you need and cook/simmer for a minute or more and to your liking. Alternatively, you can pan fry the bok choy. Transfer to individual bowls immediately. Season with cracked pepper.
- Refrigerate leftover soup in a sealed container. It keeps well for several days.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.