A savory, lentil loaf, made with roasted vegetables. Fire-roasted tomatoes make it tender, moist and the the wide variety of veggies adds depth of flavor. This is an entree that will satisfy all of your guests.
Lentil Loaf With Carrots, Onions, and Portobello Mushrooms [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Lentil Loaf With Carrots, Onions, and Portobello Mushrooms [Vegan]
- 2 cups of lentils (green or brown), rinsed and sorted
- 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed, plus 5 tablespoons of water
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut in half length-wise
- 1 large red onion, peeled and cut into 8 pieces
- 6 to seven large portobello mushroom caps, stems removed
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1 1/2 cups of bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon of liquid smoke
- 1 16-ounce can of whole fire-roasted tomatoes – coarsely chop two of the whole tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons of dry Italian seasoning
- Ground sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Olive oil
How to Prepare Lentil Loaf With Carrots, Onions, and Portobello Mushrooms [Vegan]
- Preheat the oven to 385°F.
- Combine the flax seed and the water until creamy. Let sit for at least 15 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, cover the lentils with water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to simmer and cook for 30 minutes. Add more water if needed. The lentils should be soft. Drain the excess water in a fine mesh colander and put half of the lentils in a food processor. Pulse until they are creamy but you can still see pieces of lentil. Put in a large mixing bowl. Repeat the process with the other half of the lentils.
- While the lentils are cooking, put the carrots and onion on a rimmed baking sheet with a drizzle of olive oil, and then rub the oil evenly over the vegetables. Roast for five minutes, then turn the carrots and onions and add the mushrooms to the pan. Roast for five minutes and flip the mushrooms and turn the carrots and onions. Continue the process until the vegetables are caramelized and easily pierced with a fork. Remove from oven and cool for five minutes.
- Place the vegetables and the garlic cloves in the food processor and pulse until they are cut into small pieces. Put in the mixing bowl with the lentils.
- Add the bread crumbs, flax eggs, liquid smoke, the two chopped fire roasted tomatoes, and Italian seasoning, and stir until well combined. Taste the mixture and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Line a one pound loaf pan with parchment paper, or lightly grease it and put the lentil loaf mixture in the pan. Firmly press it into the pan until it forms the shape of the pan.
- Bake for 55 minutes. Remove the loaf from the oven and cut three slices into the loaf and evenly pour the juice of the fire roasted tomatoes on top. Don’t drench it, it should just cover the loaf. Spread about half of the tomato juice from the can of fire roasted tomatoes over the entire top of the loaf and bake for another five minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let it set for ten minutes.
Total Calories: 2357 | Total Carbs: 425 g | Total Fat: 12 g | Total Protein: 140 g | Total Sodium: 3778 g | Total Sugar: 35 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.